Why Should I Consider Using JD Edwards Managed Services?
William Craig, Senior Manager – Market Research
JD Edwards EnterpriseOne is a scalable, robust and feature rich ERP system with over 80 application modules that support a broad range of business functions. In addition to its application layer, EnterpriseOne has an extensive technology layer that can run on a various hardware, database, web application, and operating systems platforms.
The technology layer (tools) provides a layer of abstraction that allows JD Edwards applications to work without being directly dependent on the underlying technology infrastructure and middleware. This abstraction provides the flexibility to scale the system to meet specific business requirements but also adds greater complexity. This technology layer is also made of many server components, including Enterprise Server, HTML Server, Database Server, Server Manager, and many more.
What Are the Challenges of Managing Your JD Edwards Environment?
How do you support such a robust yet complex ERP system? It can be daunting task for even the largest of organizations. Many organizations operate globally and are 24/7/365, requiring an extensive staff of technical and functional resources to support their requirements. Even smaller companies require significant staffing to oversee their JD Edwards environment. These resources are expensive to hire and even more difficult to retain with their high demand and advanced skillsets.
How can you provide effective support at a reasonable cost for your JD Edwards EnterpriseOne or World systems while minimizing risks? Many organizations struggle with coverage and knowledge gaps during routine operations, let alone addressing the staffing challenges when there is a major project. Maybe it’s time to consider augmenting your staff with services provided by a JD Edwards Managed Services Provider (MSP). An MSP allows you to outsource certain functions related to the management of your JD Edwards environment, allowing you to operate more cost efficiently and effectively.
Critical Resource Considerations
So, you are thinking about how to best support your JD Edwards environment by augmenting your staff with a managed services provider, but you don’t know where to start. Here are some critical questions to think about when planning how to best support your JD Edwards environment:
- How do we keep key resources focused on strategic initiatives and growing the business?
- Is it cost efficient and effective for us to staff all support functions or should some or all be outsourced?
- Is it cost effective to have resources trained in all areas to support the system? Even if they are trained, will they have the practical experience to address all issues (Level 1, Level 2, etc.)
- Who will support the system when a key JD Edwards’ resource goes on vacation, resigns, retires, has an unexpected illness, goes on leave, or is away at training?
- Who supports the JD Edwards system on nights, weekends and holidays?
- How do we staff a major project – new module, new functionality (Orchestrator, UX One, etc.) integration project, etc.
- How do we staff a tools or application upgrade?
- How do we support third-party tools integrated with JD Edwards?
- How do we handle a new business unit, a merger, acquisition, or we need to add a large number of users?
- As new features and releases are added, staff will need be trained to support this functionality. Who will support the system while employees are away at training as well as getting up to speed in these areas?
- Should we maintain our system in-house or move to the cloud or a private hosted environment.
- Do we have an effective HA/DR plan in place, and can we support it?
- Are we meeting our Service Level Agreements (SLA’s) with our internal and external clients?
What Functions Can Be Managed by a JDE Managed Services Provider?
What functions can you outsource to a managed services provider? With JD Edwards EnterpriseOne, these functions could include things like:
- Configurable Network Computing (CNC)
- Functional Applications (Apps)
- Database (DBMS)
- Operating System
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- Continuous Delivery/Code Currency
- Application/Tool Upgrades
- ESUs, Patches and Package Builds
- Integrations/Extensions – BSSV and AIS
- High Availability/Disaster Recovery (HA/DR)
- Third-party Tools
- UX One
- Reporting – One View, BI Publisher, OBIEE, etc.
- User Defined Objects (UDO’s)
- And More
What Can Be Monitored Using a Proactive Monitoring Tool?
Typically, JD Edwards Managed Services providers use proactive monitoring tools that can help them anticipate problems before they occur, which helps to minimize issues, improve response time and increase service levels. So, what can be monitored with a proactive monitoring tool? Here are some examples:
- Enterprise Servers – Application, Integration, etc.
- Application – System Availability and Health Application
- Application Bolt-ons – AIS, BSSV, RTE, OVR, Bi Publisher, DSI, etc.
- Web Servers – WebLogic, WebSphere
- JDE Server Manager – Integration (Information/Control)
- Database Management System – Oracle, SQL Server, DB2
- Operating System – Linux, AIX, IBM i, Windows
- Network – Local Area Network and Wide Area Network
- Infrastructure – On-Prem, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, AWS, MS Azure, Google Cloud, Private Cloud
- And more
What Are the Benefits of Using a JD Edwards Managed Services Provider?
By using a managed services provider to manage all or part of your JD Edwards environment, your staff can focus on strategic initiatives and growing the business instead of managing business systems. You also gain access to a pool of experts that are experienced, trained and certified. With a dedicated group of resources who are solving numerous problems for multiple companies each day, you gain access to the most experienced and best resources.
In addition, these resources are available at your disposal without the need to incur the costs of trying to staff all these functions. Even better, the resources can be quickly scaled up or down to meet your business requirements, which levels the playing field with larger competitors. These services can be accessed 24/7/365 and typically have global reach and allow you to have better control over costs with a predictable monthly expenditure.
Some JD Edwards managed services partners provide proactive monitoring solutions with advanced AI technology, that can help you anticipate problems before they happen. These tools can help to minimize issues, as well as improve response times, and increase service levels.
Other major benefits include:
- Reduce IT Operational Complexity
- Reduce Risks
- Cost Saving through Pooled Resources
- Flexible Services
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity
- Provide Scalability
- Compliance and Security
- Vendor Management
- Business Agility/Competitive Advantage
- Vendor Management
For more information on GSI’s JD Edwards support offerings or other services, please visit the links below. Until next month!
William Craig, CPA – Senior Manager – Market Research
CONTACT US TODAY
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON GSI’S JD EDWARDS MANAGED SERVICES